Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Story with a Moral

4 posters

Go down

Story with a Moral Empty Story with a Moral

Post  Guest 2/22/2009, 7:09 am

In 1923, Who Was:

1. President of the largest steel company?
2. President of the largest gas company?
3. President of the New York Stock Exchange?
4. Greatest wheat speculator?
5. President of the Bank of International Settlement?
6. Great Bear of Wall Street?

These men were considered some of the worlds most successful of their days. Now, 80 years later, the history book asks us if we know what ultimately became of them.

The Answers:

1. The president of the largest steel company, Charles Schwab, died a pauper.
2. The president of the largest gas company, Edward Hopson, went insane.
3. The president of the NYSE, Richard Whitney, was released from prison to die at home.
4. The greatest wheat speculator, Arthur Cooger, died abroad, penniless.
5. The president of the Bank of International Settlement, shot himself.
6. The Great Bear of Wall Street, Cosabee Livermore, also committed suicide.

However:

In that same year, 1923, the PGA Champion and the winner of the most important golf tournament, the US Open, was Gene Sarazen. What became of him?

He played golf until he was 92, died in 1999 at the age of 95. He was financially secure at the time of his death.

The Moral:

Screw work. Play golf.

Back to top Go down

Story with a Moral Empty Re: Story with a Moral

Post  Administrator 2/22/2009, 2:30 pm

lol

That sounds good to me, but instead of golf, I'd rather find a nice lake or river, pitch a tent and set up camp with all the modern gadgets, and do some fishing....
dance
Administrator
Administrator
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 2560
Registration date : 2006-08-20

https://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 2/22/2009, 11:27 pm

I hope to play at least another 50 years cheerstoyou

Do you play much Blue?

I know Kurt must since he has a fairway in his back yard!

Story with a Moral GOLF4

Story with a Moral GOLF3
Magic
Magic

Number of posts : 8781

http://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge and [url]https://ti

Back to top Go down

Post  wood20ks 2/23/2009, 3:22 am

Nice Blue.......But some people have no morals. lol

And yes i do remember the days of playing golf.........Played for app.15 yrs.(Btw.....Nice pics Magic)

Then one day my Dad talked me into becoming a memeber at pricey(for around here) course for a Thousand smackers.No cart included either.

Well I decided that I was gonna get my money`s worth and play every chance I got..........Day in day out......After about 3 months I got burned out on it.That was 4 -5 yrs ago.
The following year I played like 3 times,year after that was about 1 or 2.
Then found myself not playing since.............Just got burnt out on it.
Not too mention the nice irons and drivers I had bought. ohshit

Damn I spent alotta money. whoa
wood20ks
wood20ks
Does a Bear shit in the Woods?

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/23/2009, 5:46 am

I play in a weekly nine-hole league and get out at least one other time each week, weather permitting, with buddies. Every once in awhile, on an approach shot I hit one that Tiger would love to have -- that's what keeps me coming back. That and the nice walk and good times with friends. We've managed to get in at least one round each month this winter except for January. So, we bowled each week in January. smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 2/23/2009, 3:55 pm

I used to be a bowler too but haven't been to an alley since 1981 when the back problem was screwing things up and I didn't get pain pills until 2000 (march 6th is my anniversery of being on the DL for 9yrs)

And now we have no bowling alley within a 2hr round trip.

Bear you need to just find the nicest local course that doesn't cost as much as the real fancy places and never pay for the membership unless you have extra cash and it's a fair deal.

We have a local one called "Chevy Chase" here (since 1925)

They have a $20 round going during the winter and then the price goes up about $10 for the summer and it is a pretty nice course and I played there so many times I know most of the angles.

And never waste money on the expensive clubs (but keep em if you own em) The only new one I have bought since 1974 is that driver called the "Hammer" and I got a real cheap deal so it was like the other nice ones I have found at the Goodwill stores for a couple bucks that dopes sell or give away after a relative croaks.

That putter you see me using is the same one since 1974....a cheap-o and I am still "Tiger Woods" around here with that......oh yeah I did have to buy a TaylorMade 52deg wedge a few years ago but that was because my old 1974 wedge finally broke.......but I have payed for it by winning the local pitching wedge contest that we have every golf season.

And yeah Blue....all it takes for us amatuers is the occasional great shot!

I still hope to get the hole in one with my wedge some day (missed one by ONE INCH on a par 3 167yrd tee shot with my old cheap pitching wedge)

Never got an eagle yet but plenty of birds.....and a few that I pitched onto the green and in the hole.....and many long putts to save the pars sunny

You guys would love being at one of our pitching wedge contests!

(the other pics are from the 27 hole Port Ludlow course and this is my home course which needs mowin' right now smile )

Story with a Moral HomeCourse
Magic
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post  wood20ks 2/24/2009, 12:53 pm

m\Magic there are other courses around that are even closer tha "Deer Valley" that I belonged to.

But for whatever reason I played a helluva alot better on that one than the others......(of my liking I guess) lol

And yes I still have my clubs.The last one I did buy was a driver called "Big Red" for 275.
If I remember right there was another one that cost more,but I`m thinkin that It had a bigger head maybe....Can`t remember why it was more. wtf

I keep thinking that I will take it up again,but I alays have home projects to do it seems like.

I tore up my front lawn last year and put in a new sidewalk(landscaping bricks) and a 2 new flower beds with a 3rd going in this spring.
I cut every on of those bricks to fit in a s- curve sidewalk......A little tricky but looks good.

Then all I have left is a few windows to put in and all the outside work is done for good.........

So when working 6 days a week(when I go back,which any day now) I have little time to do some golfing.

Also saving some of that hard earned cash for that Vette a year from this coming summer. dance
wood20ks
wood20ks
Does a Bear shit in the Woods?

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 2/24/2009, 4:48 pm

Yeah Bear the home projects and going to work at the same time do make getting to play golf a little tough wtf

Must admit back when I was doing both at the same time I didn't get to play as much golf as I did after I decided to be retired when I was 39.

But I never missed going to the gym and playing basketball twice a week......I was always better playing hoop and it was free and it was always fun schooling the new batch of HS and college jackasses every year Basketball

Had to quit when I was 41 because the back injury made it so running and jumping are a thing of the past.

Golf isn't easy either when you play 18 on a hot day....and hell I even quit walking the course back in 1999.

Too painful to swing the driver on the cold days but when it gets over 60 degrees I will keep on playing (bring my friendly pain pills with me)

Most of my golf crew I have played with for decades are now over 60yrs old (retired vietnam vets) so we spend most of the spring and summer playing at our "pitching wedge/BBQ" contests up at my friends place on the mountains in Sequim where he has a course on his 7 acres and the friend next door made one a couple years ago too and his fairways and greens are friggin' perfect.....just like a course that would make you pay!

Some of the old crew can still do more work than the youngsters and they tend to help the rest of us out when they notice we could use a bit of help on our home projects.

Btw do you watch the Barrett Jackson car auctions on the Speed Channel????

I love watching that and one of these days......I'm driving down to AZ with a fist full of dollars and buying one of those perfect cars (I saw some nice Vettes you would have liked last night in fact and the price was fair too)

You can actually be a "call-in" buyer too.

My racing days are over so I am leaning towards a Rolls or a Bentley under $50K

(of course I will never sell my 1970 Old Cutlass Supreme w/455-500ft lbs of torque)

It turns 40 this fall.........but I will sell my Jaguar smile

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/
Magic
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 2/25/2009, 1:22 am

I used to be a bowler too but haven't been to an alley since 1981 when the back problem was screwing things up

Me too, but hear on the Right side we dont roll the ten pins, theres no challenge to it..Try duckpins, now that takes skillllllz..I rolled religously 3 times a week in money leagues from the 70-'s til well into the 90's..

I even rolled on a TV Show in Baltimore 78-79, it was on Saturday late afternoon's

http://www.geocities.com/gwhelton/11-5.html

I wish they had a proper web site for Pinbusters. I beat some dude going for the Big Trophy, 6 straight weeks.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/25/2009, 4:34 am

Duckpin Bowling! We've got 2, maybe 3 alleys here in Indy, Crav! Always a good time, it equalizes everyone instantly. The only kind of bowling the wife can do, with her hands being as they are.

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 2/25/2009, 9:21 am

Dam, Duckpins in the Midwest, not thats something..
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/25/2009, 7:16 pm

Ever done candlepin bowling? That was/is popular in New England (where we all know the pin heads root for the *Pats). Anyway, it's an interesting twist on bowling. The pins are narrow cylinders somewhat fatter in the middle. The ball is about the size of a softball (like for duck pins). You get THREE shots to make the spare and any pins knocked down remain laying there for you to take advantage of on your subsequent rolls. I played it a few times about 50 years ago (before most of you were all a twinkle in your dads' eyes) when we visited my sister who, at the time, lived in Mass.

Candlepin Video Clip

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 2/26/2009, 1:22 am

Definately heard of candlepin bowling..

Im still in awe that they have duckpin out in the midwest,

Dam Blue, 50 years ago? they had round balls back then? I will drink to that
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/26/2009, 4:36 am

cravnravn wrote:Definately heard of candlepin bowling..

Im still in awe that they have duckpin out in the midwest,

Dam Blue, 50 years ago? they had round balls back then? I will drink to that

We have dick-puns, too!

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 2/26/2009, 3:52 pm

LOL you wacky new englanders!

I can almost hear your goofy accent from here lol

Rolling a softball is like playing softball!

I do remember that getting on tv back when I was about 10yrs old on ABC when they used to bore us with that and sliding a rock with a handle on it on some ice laughing

Ten-pin bowling is a mans game when it comes to rolling that heavy ball down the hardwood at those pins trying to make em explode!

Now Cravn if Ten-pin bowling was easy all of us would be on the PBA tour rolling 300's and making money on TV every week!!

I still have my ball from when I was 13 playing in the league but would have to redrill it since my hands are basketball player size........but now that I read this duck petting stuff here I just might have to get a pair of bowling shoes (not wearing those nasty ones they let people use) and see if I can still roll some strikes......along with my friendly pain pills mischief

I still remember listening to 1970's music at the lanes in Monroe and getting the 7-10 split......never got a 300 game though.

And I bet you plastic ducks never did that either joker

I throw wheat bread at my ducks (my mallards stayed here all winter for the first time and they got snowed on last night)

Magic
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down