Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hospice Auction Report

2 posters

Go down

Hospice Auction Report Empty Hospice Auction Report

Post  Guest 9/1/2008, 4:41 pm

Wow! I just spent the entire Labor Day at the Hospice auction. You may remember I talked about this a while back. I worked part of the morning then was running between auctions to try to bid on some things I wanted.

The auction raised close to $350,000 for Hospice of Lancaster County. Beautiful Amish quilts, a brand new Ford Mustang (chances cost $10 and someone from Lancaster county won that drawing and drove the $30,000 car away!), a new Harley, and on and on and on.

I bid on a signed Jim Furyk Ryder Cup pin flag (hole #18) from the last Ryder Cup. I stopped bidding at $500 and it sold for $925. An autographed Tiger Woods photo lithograph went for $3100. Then they put up the Indy Colts football with Peyton's signature along with several other players from last year. I ended up in a bidding war with a guy. I dropped out at $800 and it went for $825. I talked to him later and he was prepared to go as high as it took as he drove up from Washington DC just to bid on the football. Well, at least my bidding managed to garner a little more money for Hospice.

A beautiful day, met a ton of really nice folks, got to eat some good old Lancaster County Amish cooking (all proceeds from all the food went to Hospice), and came home with two items -- a print which I managed to get for $15 but which will cost me about $100 to get matted and framed and a Hospice coffee mug for which I bid $65. The coffee mug was signed by one of the auctioneers and each year for as long as I live, I can take this mug to the auction and get free coffee and dough nuts! Not a bad deal.

One other neat thing they do every year. They have a large flat cake decorated with the auction logo. Folks bid on this and, after winning the bid, they turn it back in for another bid. This went on for several iterations until they had accumulated $3800 in bids for the cake, setting a new Hospice auction record. The last bidder had them cut it up and serve it to the Amish kids who were helping at the auction.

Good stuff. Cravn, you really got to try to get up for this next year. It's always on Labor Day weekend, Saturday and Monday. What a great time!

Back to top Go down

Hospice Auction Report Empty Re: Hospice Auction Report

Post  cravnravn 9/1/2008, 4:58 pm

Dam it Blue, please remind me next year..I did planning on attending when you made mention of it a few weeks back..

Glad you had a great time, and you all raised a hell of a lot for the Hospice.. Hospice is a great cause
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 9/1/2008, 5:21 pm

Yep, you missed bidding on the signed helmet from the 2008 Pro-Bowl. Peyton did not sign that but many players did including Tony Romo (along with Jessica Simpson). It went for $1050. Also: Brook Robinson baseball, Adam Terry photo (Ravens lineman, right?), Randall Cunningham helmet ($500), Barry Sanders helmet, Boog Powell baseball, Brett Favre football, Don Shula mini helmet, a Tire from Dale Earnhardt, Jr's car at the Pocono Raceway, Tony Stewart hat, Richard Petty hat, Emmit Smith signed jersey, Adam Vinatieri signed jersey, Cal Ripken baseball, Salute to Art Donovan Fundraiser football, and on and on and on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 9/1/2008, 10:46 pm

Good job Blue!

Sounds like they get lots of money each year and if I was there I probably would have spent too much money on one of those things.

The golf flag sounds nice and any Colts collector would be nice.

I wouldn't pay money like that for a Tiger autograph though.

The way I have been feeling this summer I probably would have my collection sitting with me in my hospice room wtf

I hope they let you have dunkin' doughnuts or those other good ones.....and tastey cappuccino's smile

Bookie Challenge
Original Rookie of the Year
BC CHAMPION 2018
BC CHAMPION 2019
BC CHAMPION 2024
Many time Rudy Award Winner
Bookie Challenge Hall of Fame
https://tinyurl.com/OfficialBookieChallenge
Magic
Magic
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 8781