Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home protection dogs...

3 posters

Go down

Home protection dogs... Empty Home protection dogs...

Post  dblshockpwr 12/31/2006, 6:45 am

Hey guys!!

I'm looking to get some dogs for home protection, what kinds do you all have (or have had) that are good family/companion dogs as well as home protection dogs as well..(I am going to have the dog/or dogs professionaly trained for protection too)

I had a HUGE german shepard when I was a kid, my uncle was in security in the Air Force for 25+ years and he got me one of the puppies from their litters so he was VERY high quality (he was HUGE over 100lbs) so I am leaning towards getting another high quality GS... I'm also looking at Dobermans, Rotts and Presa Canarios(I LOVE the coloring of these beautiful animals)

Let me know if you have any experience with any of these breeds and what the advantages/disadvantages are that you have had.

Have a happy New Year!!
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Home protection dogs... Empty Re: Home protection dogs...

Post  cravnravn 12/31/2006, 6:58 am

I had a Lab Mixed for 16 years, Alysheba figures eh :>)

She was the keeper of all my children, none of the other kids in our neighborhood could rough house with my kids, she was a great watch dog and the kids coud do anything they wanted to her and she would not snap at them, my youngest even learned to walk with her help, used to hoist hisself up by pulling on her tail..

Mix breeds are the best, Id go with the Lab.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925

Back to top Go down

Post  Administrator 12/31/2006, 9:54 am

The venerable German Sheppard is your Best Bet king
They're a very good combination of family dog and Kick Your Ass guard dog ramborampage
Plus you can trust the Sheppard with your family.....the German Shep will protect his "pack" to the death, and that's a fact!! They don't run away from a threat even when they're hurt. Our family Sheppard from back in the day, Misty, was awesome. She struck fear into everybody outside our immediate family, I shit you not. When I was about 7, the mailman knocked on the door and when I opened it, the first thing he said to me was, "Don't let your dog out!!"....well, Misty forced her way past me and chewed that poor sumbitch up!! There was mail all over the front lawn. There was a lawsuit and the court ordered us to have Misty put down. Well, bullshit on THAT noise...so my pop waited a week and wrote them a letter saying "our dog has been put to sleep"....LOL

That was the end of it. We got lucky.

Today I have a Weimaraner, another awesome German breed, but they don't have the hardcore guard dog mentality that the Sheppards have. But the Weimmys are more sociable, fun-loving and family-oriented than Sheps. While the Weimaraner will fight hard to protect the family, they're far outmatched by the Sheppard for guard duty. If you're in a fight.....you want a German Sheppard protecting your back!! rambo

So....I recommend the Sheppard for good all-around family/guard dog wuv

Lacey Jane was a Sheppard mix.....she was small and sweet, but she still had the aggressive Sheppard guard dog menality, but not in the "true, pure German Sheppard mold". She was small but utterly fearless, and that's a fact.

BOOKIE CHALLENGE Home protection dogs... 2-8110
Rest In Peace Garth
Administrator
Administrator
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 2560
Registration date : 2006-08-20

https://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge

Back to top Go down

Post  Administrator 12/31/2006, 10:09 am

By the way, stay hell and gone away from Rotts....you can't trust them. That's a nasty breed you do NOT want around your family. They are strickly guard dogs.

BOOKIE CHALLENGE Home protection dogs... 2-8110
Rest In Peace Garth
Administrator
Administrator
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 2560
Registration date : 2006-08-20

https://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/31/2006, 10:44 am

LOL yeah Mighty, my old Shepherd was the same way.. still probably the best dog I've ever owned...

Conan (his name lol) was a lover to the family and scared the living shit out of anybody he didn't think belonged...I remember the neighbors Great Dane got into the yard once and ol' Conan about killed him because he got too close to my sister. I just have to find a damn good breeder, too many people sell inferior dogs these days..

And my dear old uncle trained the militery guard dogs when he was in the Air Force so he said he would be glad to train my new dog for protection purposes...

I;m having to spend most of my time in Avon because of the septic systems deal going on at my other place, and there was 153 murders in Indy last year and I'm not too far from there and with Avon growth boom we're starting to get Indy's criminal element getting out there...

They'll think twice about my place with my collection of firearms and a couple 100lb shepherds at the place.... heh heh heh!!!
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down