Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update for the day.

4 posters

Go down

Update for the day. Empty Update for the day.

Post  dblshockpwr 8/26/2009, 9:59 am

Windows still sucks.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Update for the day. Empty Re: Update for the day.

Post  dblshockpwr 8/26/2009, 10:02 am

Hey Magic.....

Isn't this what the guys at CERN use with the Hadron Collider?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_linux
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 8/26/2009, 11:32 am

8 years with XP Pro on a house full of pc's and I still have not had one problem with Windows

(I didn't with my old 98SE either but I guess......)

The LHC has been shut down for a year now and it keeps having problems.

I noticed my local cops use linux but they are also pc-stupid lol

As far as CERN and the LHC my team and mainly my computers are in the top 99.791 % in the entire world king

Windows still does most of the work and the programmers for the physics projects use that before writing code for mac and linux.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
Magic
Magic
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 8781
Registration date : 2006-08-20

http://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge and [url]https://ti

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 8/27/2009, 2:10 pm

I just posted that because I had gotten so used to instaling and using linux-OS's lately that I had forgotten what a pain in the ass it is to actually do a fresh window$ install.... My aunt is absolutely terrible at MS updates and keeping her anti-virus up to date and her Dell Studio Hybrid was running like a real piece of crap.....

So I wiped her HDD with Dban (great free HDD wipe utility) because she had so may damn instance's of virus/spyware/malware//greyware etc that it would have taken a month to get it sorted out.... and yes she had conficker as well So then I go to re-install her system and Dell didn't include most of the updated drivers.. (including the chipset drivers Grrrrrrrrrr bs ) So I had to go and find all the drivers and the correct install order at Dell support.. With most linux distro's now just about every driver you would ever need is detected at installation and a part of the kernel....

I do kind of like the Studio Hybrid though..... basically a laptop in a desktop case and super small... Most people could get away with using a small form factor PC now anyway since so much is browser-based these days.... (except for fucking Netflix Watch-it-now which is the only reason I still have a windows partition on the laptop, moonlight still hasn't caught up to silverlight just yet)

It was just frustrating that a 30 minute install turned into a 2 1/2 hour install to get the right drivers.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  =SA= 8/27/2009, 2:54 pm

dblshockpwr wrote:Windows still sucks.

amen brother ...but I have no idea what you guys are talking about mischief
=SA=
=SA=
Bookie Challenge Hall of Fame Member

Number of posts : 1501
Registration date : 2006-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 8/27/2009, 3:13 pm

Would someone please tell me what the fuck he just said? wtf

On second thought... don't. lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 8/27/2009, 9:42 pm

Yeah I agree with that long time sitting and waiting when you do the fresh re-install.

The machine next to me is an AMD 3200 I have had for years and it was running an old original version of XP Pro that I made and after many years without doing the SP updates or changing to IE7 it was not how I like it but I only use it to process the Einstein and LHC data 24/7 and I only turn on the monitor to check and see if it is hard at work.

But I finally decided to buy a new XP Pro SP 3 disc (from TigerDirect) and it sat here for weeks and I finally had free time so I decided to load it.....and you know how the "clock" is running saying how long it will take.

Of course I sat there for hours and after watching for a while I had to just get on this one so I wasn't just staring at the install stuff we already know.

But I never have had to do any driver updates so I bet doing that adds to all the time and you actually have to do more than just wait like I do.

I'm sure you know how pc's get when amatuers run them....virus/spyware/malware//greyware slows em down to a crawl.

Wish those dip shit hackers would just mess with macs or maybe just old versions of Windows wink

I have nothing against Linux and I know many people who like messing around with it and seeing what they can do with their "dual quads" and adding the "NVIDIA-CUDA" to add it as a processor.

But as you know when I got this new XP Pro disc loaded that thing was running like it was new again and looks so clean with nothing added on yet except my favorite security suite on 5 machines at the same time cheerstoyou
Magic
Magic
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 8781
Registration date : 2006-08-20

http://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge and [url]https://ti

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 8/28/2009, 1:29 am

Im with Savi...Go buy a new one
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 8/28/2009, 6:06 am

cravnravn wrote:Im with Savi...Go buy a new one

LOL How about this.... when your Computers start acting up and you go buy a new one, just send your old ones over to me in Indy Cravn!!

I'll even pay the shipping..... UPS of course...
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down