Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boycott ESPN's Greatest Game Ever Played

2 posters

Go down

Boycott ESPN's Greatest Game Ever Played Empty Boycott ESPN's Greatest Game Ever Played

Post  cravnravn 12/13/2008, 4:41 am

I sure in the hell am..

ESPN Films took players from that game (and a selected few others) and matched them with current Indianapolis Colts and New York Giants, the teams that have won the past two Super Bowls -- among them: Art Donovan with Michael Strahan, Raymond Berry with Tony Dungy, Lenny Moore with Brandon Jacobs, Pat Summerall with Adam Vinatieri, Gino Marchetti and Frank Gifford with Tom Coughlin.

This could have come off as nothing more than a gimmick, but it is what most makes the documentary worth watching. The modern players let the old-timers do most of the talking, but the younger men are unfailingly respectful and seem genuinely thankful for the legacy built by the players from the 1950s.

To quickly address what is probably a concern for many old Colts fans: Yes, the documentary acknowledges the departure of the team for Indianapolis. And it might not sit well with some of you to hear Colts coach Dungy say, "We feel a bond to that '58 team." But listen to it in the context of the show, and it sounds perfectly right.

WTF does Vinaterri and Dungy have to do with the 58 Colts???
Hey Dungy, the bond you feel with the 58 Colts, I hope its better than the bond you felt with your Son.

I cant fuckin believe ESPN did this!!!
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-fragercolumn1212,0,3401239.column
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Boycott ESPN's Greatest Game Ever Played Empty Re: Boycott ESPN's Greatest Game Ever Played

Post  Guest 12/13/2008, 8:08 am

CRAV... ARE YOU ALL RIGHT THIS MORNING???

First you say boycott... then you come back to talk about the melding of past and present Colts is handled well and the reason to watch... and that the current caoch and players are very respectful to the B-more guys.

Then you go postal and drop the son's death blast? WTF?

Gimme your home number... I need to call your lady and kids and tell them you're in one of your unstable moods today - get the fuck out of the house for awhile!

Back to top Go down

Boycott ESPN's Greatest Game Ever Played Empty Re: Boycott ESPN's Greatest Game Ever Played

Post  cravnravn 12/13/2008, 11:09 am

I was taking TOTALLY by suprise...shock then anger at that article.. Let the past be if ESPN wanted to do something of this mangitude, hell they coul of interviewed Johnny Unita Jr..What the fuck does Tony Dungy know about the 1958 Colts?? What does Vinaterri know, yet he will be featured in the film..Vinahack wasnt born in 58, hell neither was I..

ESPN should treat our histories as well as the Blue Crew Bar treated it, there was nothing on the walls prior to 1984..AND IM perfectly content with that.

Tonight at 9pm, Ill be watching CSI Miami.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 12/13/2008, 9:30 pm

I already knew all about how the 2 hour best thing ESPN ever did was going to be,

I loved the entire program.

Only thing better would have been Unitas sitting with Manning watching that game.

It was current players watching with the originals.

Current FG kicker with the Giant of the past.

I loved it from the first second to the last.

Dungy knows because he was 5yrs old when it happened and he went on to play for the 70's SB Champ Steelers and now coaches the COLTS who have won more games and a SB than any other team.

I bet he watched all the games in the 1960's just like I did.

MILLIONS of COLTS fans were all over the USA back then and even more today (my Son is one now too)

I grew up with many friends in the 60's and 70's who were Colts fans and none of us have ever been to Maryland.......yeah the Baltimore part was great but that isn't the way pro football is any more.

But I do know lots of the current Colts players live in Indiana.

No way in the world would all of the millions of Colts fans around the USA were going to sit around and cry for 12 years waiting for Baltimore to get the Cleveland Browns.

The Colts came from Dallas.......never been there either.

I like certain cities I have been to but I am not a sports fan of any city.

If the Colts move to my back field I am a Colts fan.

And I have been watching for a long time and since I am not into college football I wait until the players get drafted and have seen Colts QB's and recievers all my life and Dungy is right when he says Manning to Harrison is just like Unitas to Berry .

Manning is a Golden Arm winner and when he played his rookie season and it was very much like Johnny U's

Manning had the same throwing motion.....he went on and off the field the same way.....and since he started practicing with Marvin the same way the same thing happened.......only more yards,TD's,receptions.

I always liked Bert Jones but never saw that comparison when he played.

I probably would have got Marvin to sit and watch and be on the program with Berry myself.

Art Donovan is one of a kind.......never will be another player close to him.

Gino Marchetti is a legend.

Lenny Moore is always nice to see.......it would have been nice to see Ameche since he was a BIG part of that COLT win.

And for an awful LB/FG kicker that game tying FG was as perfect as it can get by Myhra hellyes

And Yankee Stadium should be saved as a National Monument.

Hell nobody on the planet has watched more TV than I have and this was the greatest 2 hours ever sitting in front of a tv.

And instead of on a 19in black and white it was on a 67in HDTV.

I liked it when those 2 girls from the original Colts marching band said since they liked Manning and what kind of person he is they didn't mind seeing the COLTS win the SB for this version of the COLTS even though they always had that "curse".

Sure if I was a kid living in Baltimore back then my Dad and all the grownups would have gave me the same lines......but I would have had no problem being a Colts fan in 1984......heck even Cravn moved.....it wasn't a Mayflower but he lives in Pennsylvania and sure will never become a Steelers fan wink

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/feature/index?page=greatestgame

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Bookie Challenge
Original Rookie of the Year
BC CHAMPION 2018
BC CHAMPION 2019
BC CHAMPION 2024
Many time Rudy Award Winner
Bookie Challenge Hall of Fame
https://tinyurl.com/OfficialBookieChallenge
Magic
Magic
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 8779
Registration date : 2006-08-20

http://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge and [url]https://ti

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 12/14/2008, 2:16 am

I watched' "Its a Wonderful life"

I moved 31 miles from the Baltimore City line, Im 50 feet in PA.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/14/2008, 2:32 am

I was born in Seattle in 1950 and we always watched Colts games and the 1958 and 1959 Champs were great to watch and everyone here wanted the Colts to win.

A few of us started wanting the Seahawks to win games when they got a team but that was just because they are here and we could go to those games.

Just like going to M's games to see other teams in town.

I liked watching the LA Rams back then too.

I have seen so many teams over the years move around to new places.

Dallas Texans and Houston Oilers and Miami Seahawks moving to Baltimore and becoming the Colts.

So many more in all 3 main sports (I don't count the NHL)

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 12/14/2008, 2:35 am

Just curious jow do you guys on the left coast get to follow a team from the East, must have sucked on Sundays to start watching a EST game at 9am.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/14/2008, 2:50 am

The morning games are on at 10am here when they are on the right coast.

Back in the day there wasn't very many teams so it was Colts Giants and Packers in the morning and Rams at 1pm and all those teams playing here or there.

I like em this way we get both games before 4pm and the MNF game is over by 8 or 9 instead of midnight and now we have the sunday and thursday night games at a lil after 5pm

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 12/14/2008, 2:54 am

I hear ya, I hate MNF and Sunday games, I acually feel asleep on the Ravens-Skins game last weekend..Getting up at 3:30am just kills me.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/14/2008, 2:59 am

Haha yeah I sometimes even fall asleep watching some of these games at 8pm!

I'm only up because it started snowing and I decided to watch and borrowing a laptop since mine died on me about a month ago pissed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down