Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think I am going to start building furniture...

3 posters

Go down

I think I am going to start building furniture... Empty I think I am going to start building furniture...

Post  dblshockpwr 7/28/2008, 5:47 pm

I am really getting sick and tired of the BS of my career....

I do have some serious skills though.... and I LOVE to build custom, handmade furniture..........

I might build some peices and take them to the Antique Mall and see what I can do with it........ I have literally THOUSANDS of plans saved from over the years, and I could also design my own look with hybrids of style's that I really like....

I'm going to give it a go I think...
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

I think I am going to start building furniture... Empty Re: I think I am going to start building furniture...

Post  Administrator 7/29/2008, 12:12 pm

Try including "alternative" kinds of wood in your designs....things like odd-shaped branches, ect, to decorate cabinet doors, decorative trim along a chair/table/lamp stand.

Try to give your final product a unique distinct look, but one that's natural, using natural unique pieces of wood.

Or do what I did in highschool shop class.....use cheap pine and paint it black lol

BOOKIE CHALLENGE I think I am going to start building furniture... 2-8110
Rest In Peace Garth
Administrator
Administrator
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 2560
Registration date : 2006-08-20

https://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge

Back to top Go down

I think I am going to start building furniture... Empty Re: I think I am going to start building furniture...

Post  dblshockpwr 7/29/2008, 1:35 pm

mighty_colts wrote:Try including "alternative" kinds of wood in your designs....things like odd-shaped branches, ect, to decorate cabinet doors, decorative trim along a chair/table/lamp stand.

Try to give your final product a unique distinct look, but one that's natural, using natural unique pieces of wood.

Or do what I did in highschool shop class.....use cheap pine and paint it black lol

what I would really like to do is include my dad in some of the work... he is actually quite the accomplished artist (I think the only reason why he didn't pursue an art career full-time was because of us kids) I was thinking of having him hand-paint some scenes on different pieces as well...)

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the old "Hoosier Cabinet Company" But they used to make some beautiful cupboards in the 1920's and 30's and they go for high value... I was thinking of making one to sell, a custom Paul Bunyan/shaker type of bed....some heirloom chests....I have an awesome plan for a Shaker style grandfather clock too.....

and if nobody wants to buy them, I'll just put them in my house... LOL

I don't do pine unless it's throwing it into the fireplace...LOL.... I prefer cherry, walnut, birch, poplar, hard rock and spalted Maple.....

I hate Oak though... go figure.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 7/30/2008, 1:26 am

Any Oak, you dont want, I'll take..I have a Cherry Oak tree that MUST come down, its dead and to close to the house.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 8/2/2008, 3:29 pm

cravnravn wrote:Any Oak, you dont want, I'll take..I have a Cherry Oak tree that MUST come down, its dead and to close to the house.

Hmmmmm don't you dare PAY somebody to take that tree down Cravn... they should be paying YOU for that one.......

Call a hardwood company and see how much they will pay you for the tree.......Don't let those damn tree trimmers screw you.. I hate seeing that happen to people...

Just so you know a close friend of the family here had some numbnuts tree trimmer telling him it would cost him about 1500 to have an old cherry tree removed from his land.. Luckily I got ahold of him and he called the sawmill and they PAID HIM about 5000 for the tree......

I hate fucking scam artist tree trimmers. He knew how much that tree was worth.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 8/3/2008, 2:39 am

I tried Shocker, the mill is less than 3 miles from me, they sell split firewood, 35.00 a p/u truck load. We talked and they said for 1 tree it wouldnt be worth their time. The way its growing, it tilts towards the house. I can cut it to where I think it'll fall away from the house, but Im hesitant. Maybe throw some ropes around it.

BTW, I was out looking at those tankless hotwater heaters, curious as to why the intake and output lines look they are for 2" pipes.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down