Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My thoughts on the gun debate.

5 posters

Go down

My thoughts on the gun debate. Empty My thoughts on the gun debate.

Post  dblshockpwr 12/17/2012, 3:04 pm

The vast majority of the folks that committ these acts that we see happeneing today are very disturbed mentally.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that as we started closing our mental hospitals and releasing the loonie out on the streets to live a "normal life" with the rest of society is a very, very large part of what we are seeing happen.

20-30 years ago these shooters wouldn't have been able to do these things because they would be reisding in a facility with a professional medical staff to make sure ther were not out wreaking havoc on society.

We started closing these places up, give em some meds, say "take this everyday now Johnny", we will see you next month.

Like it or not there are far too many people that need 24/7 care and observance that are walking our streets.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

My thoughts on the gun debate. Empty Re: My thoughts on the gun debate.

Post  Guest 12/17/2012, 6:01 pm

dblshockpwr wrote:The vast majority of the folks that committ these acts that we see happeneing today are very disturbed mentally.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that as we started closing our mental hospitals and releasing the loonie out on the streets to live a "normal life" with the rest of society is a very, very large part of what we are seeing happen.

20-30 years ago these shooters wouldn't have been able to do these things because they would be reisding in a facility with a professional medical staff to make sure ther were not out wreaking havoc on society.

We started closing these places up, give em some meds, say "take this everyday now Johnny", we will see you next month.

Like it or not there are far too many people that need 24/7 care and observance that are walking our streets.

What's that got to do with guns? Are you pro assault weapons or anti? THAT's the gun debate. Anti, here. No reason in the world for a citizen to be able to have one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/17/2012, 6:25 pm

I'm with you Kurt. I'm sure the founding fathers, via the 2nd amendment, certainly did not intend that high capacity assault weapons with 30-100 bullet clips would be appropriate for Mr. Citizen. WTF is that about?

Having said that, this is a very tough nut to crack. First it's a political hot potato and it may be unreasonable to expect the assholes in Washington to produce any sort of effective legislation. Secondly, even if it was agreed to halt the sale of all such weapons going forward, what about the couple hundred million such things already out there in the hands of average citizens, loonies, gang members, etc.? Those weapons would continue to be around for another 100+ years or so and change hands, for the right price, via a black market. So, passing a law won't stop the threat and innocents in vulnerable places will continue to be slaughtered. I'm guessing it will take some combination of: changes to the laws (and bucking the NRA lobby), further securing schools, and encouraging parents to be more cognizant of their children's mental proclivities and having the tools and help to do something about them. Bottom line: This is a HUGE problem caused by decades of inattention and political misdirection. Sad...very sad.

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/17/2012, 7:15 pm

I don't think so, thats what the media WANTS the debate to be.

It's not about actually trying to find out WHY and finding an actual solution to the problem of the spree killers. If someone were armed and his intended victims were not it doesn't matter what kind of gun he is going to use to kill them does it? Shoot a .22 kills you just as dead as 7.62 does.

The type of gun is irrelevant, the fact that crazies are shooting people is.

We are confusing the real problem which is the why, with the perception managment directed how.

Last edited by dblshockpwr on 12/17/2012, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/17/2012, 7:20 pm

dblshockpwr wrote:I don't think so, thats what the media WANTS the debate to be.

It's not about actually trying to find out WHY and finding an actual solution to the problem of the spree killers. If someone were armed and his intended victims were not it doesn't matter what kind of gun he is going to use to kill them does it? Shoot a .22 kills you just as dead as 7.62 does.

Mmmmm... nah. Can't agree with that all the way. Partially, yes. But I still want to see an end to the assault weapons.

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/17/2012, 7:24 pm

ColtsKurt wrote:
dblshockpwr wrote:I don't think so, thats what the media WANTS the debate to be.

Mmmmm... nah. Can't agree with that all the way. Partially, yes. But I still want to see an end to the assault weapons.

SO how do you put an end to it? Too many out there in the world, pandora's box was opened a long time ago,
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 12/17/2012, 7:45 pm

Just what is it that you call an "assault" weapon?

The fact is it only depends on the size of the clip

You can find those that attach to an average plinker like a .22

As far as ammo.......come on do you really think you can tell a person how many rounds they can have?

I don't shoot very often and have no idea how many rounds bu I probably have 150 12 gauge shells and about 75 for the .50cal

Only reason I don't have more is they aren't at the local store and are expensive.

Just use half a damn brain and don't leave them laying around where lost in space kids/people can just pick them up and play a video game one you and anyone else.

Every time I hear this "assault weapon" talk I see them sat that and then how it shoots .222's......made for bolt action rifle but used in other rifles they are 25 to 60 grain max........just one of my .50cal is 325 grains

Not to mention the words "semi-automatic" being used every time.

THAT includes my pistol........just because they shoot every time you pull the trigger.

You can ban bigger clips if you want but guess what?

There are millions and millions of guns in just this country.

Billions and billions of bullets.

Yeah lets pass a law that says the Gov gets to search everyone's house and take them all away.

They can make it illegal for a gun store to sell those clips but it is like buying drugs or firewater

NEVER has been stopped and never will be.

That kids Mom was a fucking idiot and you will hear more about her every day.

She is guilty too.

I would have banned the video games 30 years ago myself.......but that is a bit late too.

Magic
Magic
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 8781
Registration date : 2006-08-20

http://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge and [url]https://ti

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/18/2012, 5:42 am

True enough.

I mean lets take a look at the .223 Bushmaster.

the .223 is a very light round, it is the same bullet as a .22 rifle (it just has a little more gunpowder)

The media is making it to sound like this is some heavyweight military assault rifle, it's not even big enough to really go deer hunting with, it's a varmint rifle. People use them to kill coyotes on the farm, and for target shooting it would probably be a very nice squirrel rifle as well.

But not something somebody would take onto the battlefield in Iraq or Afghanistan.

My .22 holds 15 rounds, is it an "assault rifle" too? It shoots basicaly the same bullet.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/18/2012, 10:11 am

Also...

Folks with mental illnesses are prohibited from either buying or owning firearms.

Problem due to medical privacy laws that information DOES NOT get into the NICS backgorund checks unless they were an inpatient... The problem being, since we have closed so many our medical institution, and the expense of inpatient treatment and the insurance compnies not wanting to pay for it... we now have a small army of insane, heavily medicated walking zombies that hear voices walking our streets.

Time to put that into the background check. (and I always thought it dhould be in there) If your shrink thinks you have the potential to do something dangerous then we should be checking for that.. (and after the shootings we found out that in almost every single instance, that was the case.)
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Administrator 12/23/2012, 7:43 am

Here's my contribution to the gun debate:

Fear the government that fears the gun ramborampage

What happened in Conn. is utterly sick, beyond comprehension. No words can convey the disgust. But the problem here is NOT guns. Or knives. Or rocks, or baseball bats, or swords, or whatever item a person can use as a weapon.

The problem is people. The problem is society. The problem is a decline in moral decency....a decline into perversion where up is down, right is wrong.....a decline to the point when it is acceptable to call good evil, and evil good.

Study the Scriptures.

If not, then the road we're on is the road we'll stay on. And it'll only get worse if we don't get off that road as a society.

Liberalism is cancer....and it will kill us as a cohesive society if we don't get away from it.

God Fearing Conservative Limited Government.

BOOKIE CHALLENGE My thoughts on the gun debate. 2-8110
Rest In Peace Garth
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 2560

https://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 12/23/2012, 9:12 am

As far as the bullets go, why can you purchase hollow point bullets at Wal-Mart, they serve no purpose but to maim or kill in everyday society,
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925

Back to top Go down

Post  Administrator 12/23/2012, 10:34 am

Any bullet, whether hallow point or wad-cutter, will kill or wound whatever it hits.

It doesn't matter what calibur used....or what type of firearm used, whether it's a BB gun or a 20 mega-ton nuclear warhead.

The POINT is........who is pulling the trigger and why.

In other words......it's not about the weapon.......it's about the shooter.

BOOKIE CHALLENGE My thoughts on the gun debate. 2-8110
Rest In Peace Garth
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 2560

https://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge

Back to top Go down

Post  wood20ks 12/26/2012, 11:24 am

ColtsKurt wrote:
dblshockpwr wrote:The vast majority of the folks that committ these acts that we see happeneing today are very disturbed mentally.

What's that got to do with guns? Are you pro assault weapons or anti? THAT's the gun debate. Anti, here. No reason in the world for a citizen to be able to have one.

I agree with Kurt.........You only hear about the mass killings,but how many get shot each and every day that are not accidental?

Guns............Nah!
wood20ks
wood20ks
Does a Bear shit in the Woods?

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  wood20ks 12/26/2012, 11:31 am

dblshockpwr wrote:Also...

Folks with mental illnesses are prohibited from either buying or owning firearms.Problem due to medical privacy laws that information DOES NOT get into the NICS backgorund checks unless they were an inpatient... The problem being, since we have closed so many our medical institution, and the expense of inpatient treatment and the insurance compnies not wanting to pay for it... we now have a small army of insane, heavily medicated walking zombies that hear voices walking our streets.

Time to put that into the background check. (and I always thought it dhould be in there) If your shrink thinks you have the potential to do something dangerous then we should be checking for that.. (and after the shootings we found out that in almost every single instance, that was the case.)

i guess you nevr herd of the word thievery then.

Just cause you can` own one doesn`t mean you cn`t get one....Hell I don`t own any guns,but I can tl you,my father has a few.
What makes you think i can`t walk in his house and snag a couple?

or even the neighbors?

Just saying...........
wood20ks
wood20ks
Does a Bear shit in the Woods?

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down