Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazing how you can change things up 180 in no time at all.

2 posters

Go down

Amazing how you can change things up 180 in no time at all. Empty Amazing how you can change things up 180 in no time at all.

Post  dblshockpwr 12/22/2010, 12:05 pm

LOL OK... so I am closing the door on the old career (and really doing it this time) and going in a new direction.... Friend of mine has a network security company and he is going to pay for me to go to school to get my A+ and Network+ certs and go to work for him, and then get me the CCNA cert, a MCTIP cert and Redhat and Novell Certs..........

But when it's time to move on, it's time to move on.... I have gotten extremely bored in the old career and have wandering feet. Lets see where they take me........ What was it Tolkien said? "Not all who wander are lost...." guess thats the story of my life LOL
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Amazing how you can change things up 180 in no time at all. Empty Re: Amazing how you can change things up 180 in no time at all.

Post  Guest 12/22/2010, 12:50 pm

Sounds like a wonderful plan for the new year. Best of luck with that!

Back to top Go down

Amazing how you can change things up 180 in no time at all. Empty Re: Amazing how you can change things up 180 in no time at all.

Post  Guest 12/23/2010, 6:45 am

I'll let you practice your security skillz on my computers at the office, 2shock! pissed

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/23/2010, 8:05 am

BlueShoes1 wrote:Sounds like a wonderful plan for the new year. Best of luck with that!

Thank you Blue! I stuck around the former career longer than I wanted or planned on. Good advice a nice older gent gave me when I was younger....... Always work in a field you are passionate about, and knowing when to leave are the 2 qualities most people miss in life.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/23/2010, 8:08 am

ColtsKurt wrote:I'll let you practice your security skillz on my computers at the office, 2shock! pissed

LOL Awesome CK.... Planning on getting the certs and some experience and going out on my own with it.... Let me know when you are ready to upgrade those office systems and Shock will get you state of the art and cutting edge and redfine Cool for the office... wink
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 12/23/2010, 2:57 pm

After all these years and you are still a computer "yahoo"??

An AOHell?

Rookies for life on the keyboard joker
Magic
Magic
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 8781
Registration date : 2006-08-20

http://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge and [url]https://ti

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/23/2010, 5:36 pm

Hey Magic, could you do me a favor? Heh heh, ask some of your guys that work at Microsoft if I can get around the system builders license in their new EULA so I can get a OEM copy of Win7 Pro licensed on my laptop build. I don't want to pay $300 for the full retail version but I don't want to waste $150 for the OEM copy of it either.... but when I start classes I am going to need a Windows machine.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 12/23/2010, 9:22 pm

lol Well you probably know the best they will do is that family pack.

I did use a XP pro I made for years but it of course didn't have the service packs so it wasn't all that good later and then I decided to buy a disc that I have used on several of mine at home and now they even make me call MS to actually use it after it is loaded.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/aabb3dd9-bc17-411f-b356-4b755e04e771

I don't even have a W7 disc for the one I use it on....just those restore discs.

Magic
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/24/2010, 5:16 am

[quote="Magic"] lol Well you probably know the best they will do is that family pack.

I did use a XP pro I made for years but it of course didn't have the service packs so it wasn't all that good later and then I decided to buy a disc that I have used on several of mine at home and now they even make me call MS to actually use it after it is loaded.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/aabb3dd9-bc17-411f-b356-4b755e04e771

I don't even have a W7 disc for the one I use it on....just those restore discs.

[/quote

yeah the bitch of it is, I got that laptop for free and the HD was dead So I threw a new 320GB in it and the screen was cracked so I put a new one in (so I have $150 in it) SO I am looking at having to do either the full retail version or trying to slick them into licensing an OEM version for me.... wtf I think I can get away with the OEM version if I do it right and save myself $150 bucks.... if I HAVE to, I will just have the GF call and tell them that she bought a refurbished laptop from me and get the license validated that way....
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 12/24/2010, 3:41 pm

yeah the bitch of it is, I got that laptop for free and the HD was dead So I threw a new 320GB in it and the screen was cracked so I put a new one in (so I have $150 in it) SO I am looking at having to do either the full retail version or trying to slick them into licensing an OEM version for me.... wtf I think I can get away with the OEM version if I do it right and save myself $150 bucks.... if I HAVE to, I will just have the GF call and tell them that she bought a refurbished laptop from me and get the license validated that way....

Oh Man......that is that free one......I tried to get them to send me one too but I haven't got one.

I would have used my XP Pro disc on it since it is the one I bought with sp3

You can still buy those for $100

Of course the different versions of W7 still are fairly expensive.

There is a couple things that will keep me running XP Pro on most of mine........one is Outlook Express and the next on my list is I like the "my pictures" on XP Pro and don't like the way it works on W7

They do still let us load the XP disc on another pc at home and I can just say the one(s) it was on died for some reason.

Then you update it to the current update that they still give you and then turn off the W-updates and then you can give it to anyone you want to.......as long as you make sure they don't turn update back on lol

I tested it a couple times since I had a few power supplies die on me and once had a processor fan die when I wasn't home.

You know how it goes.....the more computers you have running the more things can happen Rolling Eyes

Always nice to have the OS disc because as you know registry errors are not something you can fix in a couple minutes......in fact usually all you get is hours messing around until you give up and just do a clean install.

I never had Vista on one of mine but Magic Jr who likes to kill laptops brough his to me and it had all the typical problems you get when it never had ANY of the SP's installed and then using it for myspace and facebook and loading cRap from the illegal sites and programs......and leaving thousands of cookies and temps and all the rest.

It even makes it so the "recovery" won't work.

I do all the updates on the W7 that I set up for the wife.

I almost bought another one that is a Quad-core 3.0GHZ with 4GB ram and the 1TB HD and Nvidea Gforce 9200 for only $475 just to add to my Einstein Project (W7 HP64)

I see TigerD has that W7 HP disc for $99 right now.....I found the XP Pro SP3 on another site.

Magic
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 1/8/2011, 12:29 pm

Well, registered and in classes now. First order of business in gett my CompT1A A+, Net+ and Linux+ certs... then it's on to Server+, Security+ and THEN MCP and the MCITP certs

and as an added bonus I get a free copy of Win7 pro from Microsoft!

LOL
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down