Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dell XPS 1330

4 posters

Go down

Dell XPS 1330 Empty Dell XPS 1330

Post  Administrator 2/9/2009, 12:30 pm

unripebooya

sunny Wundervoll sunny

Yep, I just configured and ordered my new laptop......here are the juicy details:

Dell XPS 1330
2 Core @ 2.2 ghz (that's plenty fast enough for my laptop needs)
13.3 inch LED display
128 gig Solid State Drive Two eyes and teeth
4 gigs of RAM
Slot Load DVD burner (I don't need the Blue Ray)
Air Card (this will give me decent dsl broadband speeds everywhere I go)
Blue Tooth capable

I could have bought a 256 gig solid state drive for an extra $200, but that's pointless since I'll never use more than 40 gigs on this laptop. Hell, I don't use more than that on my desktop!!

Furthermore, I already have a new copy of XP, so the first thing I'm gonna do is delete Vista and load XP smile

Along with the machine, I bought the standard accessories......a nice travel bag, a small laser travel mouse, and a 65 watt auto/air/AC adapter so I can boot up anywhere.

I'll also go back to BestBuy and pick up a nice widescreen 20" monitor, and hook it up to the HDMI port. So this laptop will be my main machine at home until I buy a new desktop. I'll store the eMachine in the closet....
king

And I promise you that my next desktop is gonna be a MONSTER!!!!!!
shout

The XPS 1330 is a tight rugged laptop....it's not fragile. It has a solid feel to it and will travel very well. It will also be faster than my old 8400 desktop that just died on me.

My new machine ships on the 17th, so I should have it by the end of next week Two eyes and teeth

Total cost with the accessories: $2035

Dell gives you 12 months with no interest, so I'll just make four $500 payments instead of taking the big 2k hit to my checking account.

bounce

BOOKIE CHALLENGE Dell XPS 1330 2-8110
Rest In Peace Garth
Administrator
Administrator
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 2560
Registration date : 2006-08-20

https://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge

Back to top Go down

Dell XPS 1330 Empty Re: Dell XPS 1330

Post  dblshockpwr 2/9/2009, 3:09 pm

Man Mighty you ought to download a Kubuntu 8.10 disk before you load the windows on there... I've been using strictly linux for a while now and have gotta say I've been very, very pleased with it.... even got 4 folks here to go with it as well... the KDE 4 desktop is very,very pleasing and the system stability is off the hook.... You could always use something like DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to wipe the HD and run XP if you don't like it.... I used nothing but Windows for a long time until I had problems with XP on my old laptop... (and that thing had PLENTY of resources 2 GB RAM and 80 gb HD) and then with Vista on my brand new machine it was nothing but problems and it is a 4gb Ram 250 GB machine.... put Kubuntu on it and it's been a dream.... the only problem I had was the WiFi on the new machine was a little tricky and I had to use the linux back-ports but nothing else really needed tweaked at all.... it's actually running better than it ever did with Vista..... we set my old man's desktop up with it over the weekend and next weekend my brother in laws laptop and my neice's and nephew's computers as well....

Check it out on youtube they have online demo's set up there, especially the Compiz Fusion it's unreal what they are doing with that...

Oh well bro, guess I am turning into a linux geek...... LOL but congrats on the new machine man! what are the specs on it? Never mind... DUH I see the specs now..... I wish I had gotten this one with bluetooth embedded, but didn't think about it since the dongle's are so cheap now.... it does come in handy though, a nice bluetooth mouse and printer adapter would be very, very cool...... (even though a WiFi printer would be even better) but Ipods are bluetooth aren't they? I have a Palm Centro and I can tether that bad boy through bluetooth with the dongle and download info from the phone into the computer and vice versa.. Yeah the bluetooth tether is the shit.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic 2/9/2009, 7:07 pm

Bookie Challenge
Original Rookie of the Year
BC CHAMPION 2018
BC CHAMPION 2019
BC CHAMPION 2024
Many time Rudy Award Winner
Bookie Challenge Hall of Fame
https://tinyurl.com/OfficialBookieChallenge
Magic
Magic

Number of posts : 8781

http://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge and [url]https://ti

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 2/10/2009, 1:21 am

Total cost with the accessories: $2035

For a Computer?? This aint 1979.. Does it blow you on start up?
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925

Back to top Go down

Post  Administrator 2/10/2009, 7:50 am

I'm talking about speed, durability and style!!!

I'm talking XPS 1330!!!!

You get what you pay for.....and I don't like escargot Dell XPS 1330 Snail10

Besides.....the machine itself was about $1670. The rest of the cost is accessories and sales tax. And considering the laptop performance and the quality chassis, $1670 is in range. Don't forget I'm getting the solid state drive. I'm stoked.

The laptop I just bought is a Warrior rambo

Hey Dshock, I may use the eMachine to experiment with a handful of OS's.....I still have my old partition software that I bought when XP first came out. Maybe I'll get into that again when Windows 7 is launched.....I'll also try one or two of the other OS's that I keep hearing about, like Linux/Kubuntu.

I wouldn't want to use my main machines for experimentation.....so the eMachine may actually come in very handy.

BOOKIE CHALLENGE Dell XPS 1330 2-8110
Rest In Peace Garth
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 2560

https://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 2/10/2009, 8:10 am

mighty_colts wrote:I'm talking about speed, durability and style!!!

I'm talking XPS 1330!!!!

You get what you pay for.....and I don't like escargot Dell XPS 1330 Snail10

Besides.....the machine itself was about $1670. The rest of the cost is accessories and sales tax. And considering the laptop performance and the quality chassis, $1670 is in range. Don't forget I'm getting the solid state drive. I'm stoked.

The laptop I just bought is a Warrior rambo

Hey Dshock, I may use the eMachine to experiment with a handful of OS's.....I still have my old partition software that I bought when XP first came out. Maybe I'll get into that again when Windows 7 is launched.....I'll also try one or two of the other OS's that I keep hearing about, like Linux/Kubuntu.

I wouldn't want to use my main machines for experimentation.....so the eMachine may actually come in very handy.

Hey I don't blame you there MC, I didn't just throw it on my new machine either, it was a process and I started with my old win98 machine when I experimented... But if you want to dual boot, there is no need for additional software to create the partitions, the kubuntu/ubuntu ISO cd's you create already do it for you if you choose to install one of them... I tried Fedora 10 and Mandriva, but found that I liked kubuntu 8.10 the best.. even though I am hearing some really good things about Mint though. I put puppy linux on the old machine and it brought that old fucker right back to life and to good use...
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down