Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas Prices

4 posters

Go down

Gas Prices Empty Gas Prices

Post  Agent 99 5/29/2008, 11:03 am

Maybe the American people are finally getting it!!!!

Oil prices fell back Thursday ahead of a report expected to show U.S. inventories of crude and petroleum products grew last week. This is
caused because the demand for fuel fell by 5.5 percent last week compared to the same week last year. A survey of about 1000 people
found that more than half have cut back on there driving due to high fuel prices. Oil prices will fall (along with gas prices) if the demand for
fuel goes down. The falling gas demand and the strengthening U.S. dollar will hopefully help drive the price of gas and oil back down.

The emails that get sent around about don't buy gas on this day.... is a joke! Stop and think about this for a second. If you don't buy gas on
that day...... your going to have to buy it on another day at some point in time. The only way to help yourself is to just cut back on your usage.
We're in a society were everyone is in such a hurry. You'll be amazed at how much fuel you'll save if you were to leave for work just 15 minutes
earlier and drive the speed limit or just a few miles an hour under. I drive a 3/4 ton Chevy diesel and pay over $4.50 a gallon for fuel. Over the past month I have seen my fuel mileage go from around 17 mpg to 20mpg, just because I set my cruise control between 55 mph and 60mph. That's over $50 a month I have saved in fuel costs. It doesn't sound like a lot but it's $50 dollars still in your pocket!!

The answer is not to not buy gas on a certain date...... the answer is stop using so much and maybe we'll see the prices start to fall back.
Agent 99
Agent 99
I'm an optimistic person....my glass of beer is always half full until I drink the rest of it

Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2006-08-24

Back to top Go down

Gas Prices Empty Re: Gas Prices

Post  Guest 5/29/2008, 12:17 pm

Actually the answer is multi-layered.
1. build a refinery or two
2. allow drilling for oil in the known oil fields here in our own hemisphere
3. drive the speed limit
4. get rid of the land-barges... why drive a mini-Kenworth?
5. alternative fuels
6. alternative fuels
7. alternative fuels

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 5/29/2008, 2:36 pm

ColtsKurt wrote:Actually the answer is multi-layered.
3. drive the speed limit
5. alternative fuels
6. alternative fuels
7. alternative fuels

Actually CK our oil prices will drop quite a bit after BP's Whiting Indiana refinery is finished converting over to be able to refine the sand-oil fields in Canada... that sand oil field is about the size of the crude oil field in Saudi Arabia... it roughly about the size of the state of Florida and a about a quarter of georgia... it's HUGE.

And yes alternative fuels are going to be a very big part of this nations future fuel supply as welll...

PLUS don't forget.... the Nazi's farmula for SYNTHETIC gas is currently in the hands of LSU..... it's a system that uses coal to convert it to gasoline.... and we happen to have the worlds largest coal deposits here in the good old USA.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/29/2008, 5:37 pm

I'm all for alternative fuels as long as one of them is not ethanol. What a crock!! We'll be the first civilization in history to burn up our food supplies so that we can drive SUV's with ethanol.

The cost to manufacture and distribute will be enormous (no pipelines for ethanol, folks) and it's grossly inefficient as a fuel. If you're familiar with the 15% ethanol BS, you must know that the MPG for an 85/15 gas/ethanol blend is about 20% less. So, in effect you'd end up using MORE gasoline than you'd use without the blend. Not to mention significant environmental issues to truck all the corn to the refineries, to truck out the corn mash byproducts and to truck out the final ethanol product. Hell, I'd venture a guess that as much gas will be burned up to transport the raw materials and the end products as will be produced in any given refinery. The politicians (the corn farmers love those government subsidies) are out of their freakin' minds on this issue.

chicken_dance

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent 99 5/29/2008, 5:43 pm

dblshockpwr wrote:
3. drive the speed limit
5. alternative fuels
6. alternative fuels
7. alternative fuels

Actually CK our oil prices will drop quite a bit after BP's Whiting Indiana refinery is finished converting over to be able to refine the sand-oil fields in Canada... that sand oil field is about the size of the crude oil field in Saudi Arabia... it roughly about the size of the state of Florida and a about a quarter of georgia... it's HUGE.

And yes alternative fuels are going to be a very big part of this nations future fuel supply as welll...

PLUS don't forget.... the Nazi's farmula for SYNTHETIC gas is currently in the hands of LSU..... it's a system that uses coal to convert it to gasoline.... and we happen to have the worlds largest coal deposits here in the good old USA.

Your right 2shock. We have oil shale!!!

There are over 16,000 square miles of oil shale land in the Green River formation. Each acre holds 2 million barrels of oil - it's the most concentrated energy source on earth, according to the Energy Department.

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world — more than 2 Trillion barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. Three companies have been chosen to lead the way. Test drilling has already begun.
Agent 99
Agent 99
I'm an optimistic person....my glass of beer is always half full until I drink the rest of it

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 5/29/2008, 6:08 pm

BlueShoes1 wrote:I'm all for alternative fuels as long as one of them is not ethanol. What a crock!! We'll be the first civilization in history to burn up our food supplies so that we can drive SUV's with ethanol.

The cost to manufacture and distribute will be enormous (no pipelines for ethanol, folks) and it's grossly inefficient as a fuel. If you're familiar with the 15% ethanol BS, you must know that the MPG for an 85/15 gas/ethanol blend is about 20% less. So, in effect you'd end up using MORE gasoline than you'd use without the blend. Not to mention significant environmental issues to truck all the corn to the refineries, to truck out the corn mash byproducts and to truck out the final ethanol product. Hell, I'd venture a guess that as much gas will be burned up to transport the raw materials and the end products as will be produced in any given refinery. The politicians (the corn farmers love those government subsidies) are out of their freakin' minds on this issue.

chicken_dance

I think that the future od ethanol will be geared more towards a genetically engineered product than our food supply though blue.... Alot of the time people think about and think that it's going to be the corn or other crop that is for foor purposes.... My cousin just also happens to one of the biochemist that is working for Con-agra...(one of the new ethanol facilities built in Indiana) and she has been telling me for a year or 2 that the future of ethanol will be a bio-enigineered high yeild product that could theoretically be grown indoors hydroponically..(utiliing some of those HUGE empty factories)

PLUS the corn that is used for biofuels isn't corn that was ever meant for human consumption anyways.... it's an even lower grade than feed corn....

People are kind of being misled about the possibilities of bio-fuels by the different lobbyists and think-tanks that are on the bribery machince of Companies like BP and Exxon/Mobile that are passing around the same dis-information that they did in the 70's......

Folks here in Indiana know that the government has been paying farmers NOT to grow corn for almost 2 decades in these parts... I've seen with my own eyes corn that has just sat in silos and spoiled because of the government and their tactics AGAINST the american farmer.

Sure food prices are on the rise right now, but it has VERY little to do with the limited production of bio-fuels right now.... Food prices are on the rise because diesel is over $4.50 a gallon.... those farmers tractors, combines and harvestors all run on diesel... they have to use diesel for their tractor-trailor to get it to market.. then it's diesel that transports it to the processessing plans... then it's diesel that transports the product to your grocery store..... thats an almost unfathomable amount of money with the 300% rise in operating and shipping costs... thats the real reason for the spike in grocery bills... because those operating costs are passed on to the consumer.....

If we can send a man to the moon and send rovers to mars, nobody can tell me that we can't bio-engineer a high-yeild, low cost vegetable product that can do the job..... we are too smart of a nation with too much talent and good old american know how and ingenuity to make it work...

We don't give up and just bend-over and take it... we improvise, adapt and overcome.... thats the american way. cowboy
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 5/29/2008, 6:14 pm

Agent 99 wrote:
dblshockpwr wrote:
3. drive the speed limit
5. alternative fuels
6. alternative fuels
7. alternative fuels

Your right 2shock. We have oil shale!!!

There are over 16,000 square miles of oil shale land in the Green River formation. Each acre holds 2 million barrels of oil - it's the most concentrated energy source on earth, according to the Energy Department.

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world — more than 2 Trillion barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. Three companies have been chosen to lead the way. Test drilling has already begun.

Did you know that there are perfectly fine oil-wells in Kentucky that the governement capped and closed in the 70's that are more than capable of producing quite a bit of sweet crude already ready to go 99? The government just won't open them up...... part of the "strategic reserve" that they don't tell alot of people about...( and don't list as a part of the 'strategic reserve")
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 5/29/2008, 6:41 pm

BlueShoes1 wrote:I'm all for alternative fuels as long as one of them is not ethanol. What a crock!! We'll be the first civilization in history to burn up our food supplies so that we can drive SUV's with ethanol.

chicken_dance

Lets look at this way blue.... why in the holy hell would an Oilman VETO a bill to help the american farmer? The vast majority of farmers in this country ARE NOT the wealthy, millionaire farmers that the president has propagandazied them to be... the VAST majority of the American farmers not only run a full-time farming operation but work another full-time job as well to keep capital coming into the family farm...
The president has done the american farmer a GREAT disservice when he slandered them in his speeches against the farm bill that he vetoed....

the lobbyists for Exxon and BP are making a TON of money off of the oil industry as they see a great threat to their monopoly on the transportation fuel industry and are once again working to kill it off just like they did in the 70's.... it's happening again, we made that mistake once already and we are paying DEARLY or it now.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 5/30/2008, 1:34 am

Its Bush's Fault. hellyes

And I agree about the consumption, the hardest thing we did was get rid of the Silverado, Now the Mrs and I carpool together in a Saturn. Right there is a 140.00 aweek fuel savings.
Yes we sacraficed our comfort, but we choose to work in Baltimore.

The strenghtening of the almighty dollar, and a change in the Presidentcy will no doubt, drop prices.

And for all the bitching we do here, its our own fault..

Thats funny you said that 2Shock, I was thinking the same thing, the corn thats produced for animals and for fuel is not the same, eating animal corn tastes nasty. So I heard on FOX News that because of the higher demand for corn, the prices will increase this summer..And too make matters worse, the Gov't will step in and clamp down on the folks that are using, used fryer oil. I figured it wouldnt be long before they got their grimey hands in on that.
God help the man that helps hisself.

Thank god moonshine is legal.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent 99 5/30/2008, 2:56 am

cravnravn wrote:Its Bush's Fault. hellyes

And I agree about the consumption, the hardest thing we did was get rid of the Silverado, Now the Mrs and I carpool together in a Saturn. Right there is a 140.00 aweek fuel savings.
Yes we sacraficed our comfort, but we choose to work in Baltimore.

The strenghtening of the almighty dollar, and a change in the Presidentcy will no doubt, drop prices.

And for all the bitching we do here, its our own fault..

Thats funny you said that 2Shock, I was thinking the same thing, the corn thats produced for animals and for fuel is not the same, eating animal corn tastes nasty. So I heard on FOX News that because of the higher demand for corn, the prices will increase this summer..And too make matters worse, the Gov't will step in and clamp down on the folks that are using, used fryer oil. I figured it wouldnt be long before they got their grimey hands in on that.
God help the man that helps hisself.

Thank god moonshine is legal.

What's the gov going to do about people using fryer oil? I'm getting ready to start making my own Bio Fuel soon and I will be using the oil from fry vats.
Agent 99
Agent 99

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 5/30/2008, 5:54 am

What's the gov going to do about people using fryer oil? I'm getting ready to start making my own Bio Fuel soon and I will be using the oil from fry vats.

99, think about it, you will have restuarants using more oil so right there, theres a demand, now you are going to have owners wanting to sell the used oil..Right now everything is fine and dandy, but you wait, the more folks that convert to used cooking oil the higher the price will be for that oil.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Administrator 5/30/2008, 9:06 am

Hey, don't forget about the Bakken Oil Field, there's potentially up to 500 billion barrels of oil there. Here's a some Google info:

May 30th, 2008
The U.S. Geological Survey just published its official results of a groundbreaking study.

Its report confirmed a massive oil reserve in an area the locals have nicknamed the "Bakken," which stretches across North Dakota, Montana and southeastern Saskatchewan.

The new USGS study estimates a whopping 3.65 billion barrels of oil in the Bakken... but here's what they didn't mention:

The reported 3.65 billion barrels of oil mean estimate is for 'undiscovered' oil only, and doesn't include known oil, such as reserves.

In fact, the study reports a 25-fold increase in the amount of oil that can be recovered... compared to the agency's estimate back in 1995.

Discovered over 50 years ago, the Bakken deposit--once impossible to extract--is now being hailed as the single largest oil find in US history.

That's because, today, thanks to breakthrough drilling techniques like horizontal drilling, the Bakken's oil shales can be extracted relatively cheaply.

When that happens, this light, sweet oil will cost Americans just $16 per barrel!

BOOKIE CHALLENGE Gas Prices 2-8110
Rest In Peace Garth
Administrator
Administrator
Bookie Challenge Emperor/Treasurer/Moderator

Number of posts : 2560
Registration date : 2006-08-20

https://tinyurl.com/Original-Bookie-Challenge

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent 99 5/30/2008, 10:48 am

cravnravn wrote:

99, think about it, you will have restuarants using more oil so right there, theres a demand, now you are going to have owners wanting to sell the used oil..Right now everything is fine and dandy, but you wait, the more folks that convert to used cooking oil the higher the price will be for that oil.

It will still be cheaper than what I'm paying now. booya
Agent 99
Agent 99

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 5/31/2008, 5:14 pm

Agent 99 wrote:
cravnravn wrote:

It will still be cheaper than what I'm paying now. booya

and the most important thing.... the money will be staying HERE in the USA to help our economy... not Saudi Arabia's and Kuwaits and Argentina's.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 5/31/2008, 5:17 pm

and make sure you all check out Flex-Tek they make a flex-fuel conversion system for your existing vehicles..... you have to change to a larger fuel injector and retune the engine computer a little bit.... but it's very, very doable....

and I would MUCH rather give my money to a good old American farmer than to see another Saudi prince special build another sterling silver mercedes any day of the week.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 6/1/2008, 5:55 am

So now my lawn must suffer because of these high prices. We are cutting back to cut the lawn every 2 weeks now compared to cutting the lawn weekly. I probably use 2.5 to 3 gallons in the tractor to cut the lawn each time.

So lets see, I get rid of my truck because of fuel price guaging. Now I cut back on my lawn cutting. Oh, and who can forget leaving the thermostat on 62, to try and conserve heating oil..I know shocker, Im investigating the wood furnace.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 6/1/2008, 12:10 pm

cravnravn wrote:So now my lawn must suffer because of these high prices. We are cutting back to cut the lawn every 2 weeks now compared to cutting the lawn weekly. I probably use 2.5 to 3 gallons in the tractor to cut the lawn each time.

So lets see, I get rid of my truck because of fuel price guaging. Now I cut back on my lawn cutting. Oh, and who can forget leaving the thermostat on 62, to try and conserve heating oil..I know shocker, Im investigating the wood furnace.

Thats why I bought the rechargeable lawnmower.... I figured that the cost would pay for itself in a year...... it's starting to look like I made a good call on that one....... My rider hasn't been out of the barn this year and I am seriously considering selling it...(if i can) Even though I probably won't and might need it at the lake before it's over.....

Next weekend I start to get seriously down to business at the lakehouse..... Got all my little cousins lined up for a weekend of some serious work out there....

Still waiting on my soil tests to come back though...

But get this, as long as I am adding onto or remodeling the old place.... I can do WHATEVER I want without a permit...... LOL they just gave me free reign to build whatever I have the money for...

I'm going to try and not go too overboard though...

I've got to remember that I am downsizing and going for being economically free.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down