Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hmmmm maybe a career change....

4 posters

Go down

Hmmmm maybe a career change.... Empty Hmmmm maybe a career change....

Post  dblshockpwr 12/25/2007, 8:43 am

Was at the family Xmas party and my mom's boss was there...(she is actually pretty high up in the city governemnt....)

And he approached me about becoming a building inspector for the city....

Got to seriously consider this one...... City car...gas gard.... all those paid city holidays and around 4 weeks vacation a year....

HMMMMMM.... the starting salary is a little low for me though.... But I guess that can be negotiated eh?

This one will take some thought......It would be nice to be able to come come as clean as when i left.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Hmmmm maybe a career change.... Empty Re: Hmmmm maybe a career change....

Post  dblshockpwr 12/25/2007, 8:44 am

Plus my back has never been the same after that horrendous accident I was in where I almost didn't make it....
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent 99 12/25/2007, 8:45 am

City Government is great!!!

I don't get the Car or Gas Card, but I do get 6 weeks of payed vacation plus all the Holidays!!!!!!
Agent 99
Agent 99
I'm an optimistic person....my glass of beer is always half full until I drink the rest of it

Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2006-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/25/2007, 9:26 am

Agent 99 wrote:City Government is great!!!

I don't get the Car or Gas Card, but I do get 6 weeks of payed vacation plus all the Holidays!!!!!!

Thats alot of time to go hunting!! LOL
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/25/2007, 7:16 pm

Careful that its not a patronage position, 2shocker... changes in leadership (read political party) oftentimes brings loss of jobs.

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/25/2007, 8:28 pm

ColtsKurt wrote:Careful that its not a patronage position, 2shocker... changes in leadership (read political party) oftentimes brings loss of jobs.

Actually I'm kind of thinking about getting more involved in politics CK..... Imagine Mayor or President 2shock...... it'd be a MUCH better world when I am Emporer!!
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 12/26/2007, 1:20 am

Just remember, City Workers Unions Suck,at least in Md they did.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent 99 12/26/2007, 3:03 am

cravnravn wrote:Just remember, City Workers Unions Suck,at least in Md they did.

Actually our Union is pretty good. We're part of the Teamsters. Jimmy Hoffa Jr is our Prez! 357_SmithWesson
Agent 99
Agent 99
I'm an optimistic person....my glass of beer is always half full until I drink the rest of it

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/26/2007, 3:29 am

cravnravn wrote:Just remember, City Workers Unions Suck,at least in Md they did.

This isn't a union position....It's a proffessional kind of position so it is a salaried job.

It would be very nice to get some killer benefits though... We don't even get sick days OR paid holidays in the trades. And if you miss a day (like I'm going to do today...sick as the dickens....from both ends..) they act like it's the end of the freaking world.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 12/26/2007, 6:21 am

Agent 99 wrote:

Actually our Union is pretty good. We're part of the Teamsters. Jimmy Hoffa Jr is our Prez! 357_SmithWesson

You need to vote his fucking ass out!!!!!!
He was head of Teamsters when I was working for UPS, he swindled momies out of the pension plan, Be careful Cole, hes a crooked bastard. And if the name Ron Carey pops up, put a bullet in him, he swindled off PA's Pension plan and now the Boys in Southern York Co cant retire early. He hurt them so bad, they might not be able to retire. Heres an Example, My Local 355 in Baltimore our retirement is 185-00 205.00 a month for every year of service. PA's local now that the pension plan was depleted, is only getting 50.00 a month for every year of service.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/26/2007, 6:46 am

Agent 99 wrote:

Wow... I'd be a bit uncomfortable with that... Hoffa anything is a scarey proposition in my book. What is it they say? The apple never falls far...

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 12/26/2007, 8:35 am

ColtsKurt wrote:
Agent 99 wrote:

Wow... I'd be a bit uncomfortable with that... Hoffa anything is a scarey proposition in my book. What is it they say? The apple never falls far...

Oh but Jimmy irsay is not like that? riiiiiiiiiiight
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/26/2007, 8:40 am

..[/quote]

Oh but Jimmy irsay is not like that? riiiiiiiiiiight[/quote]

Damn... walked right into that one with my eyes wide open...

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent 99 12/26/2007, 11:39 am

ColtsKurt wrote:..

Oh but Jimmy irsay is not like that? riiiiiiiiiiight[/quote]

Damn... walked right into that one with my eyes wide open...[/quote]

YES YOU DID!!!!!

Wow that was a good one Crav!!!! LOL booya
Agent 99
Agent 99

Back to top Go down

Post  wood20ks 12/27/2007, 4:03 am

dblshockpwr wrote:

This isn't a union position....It's a proffessional kind of position so it is a salaried job.

It would be very nice to get some killer benefits though... We don't even get sick days OR paid holidays in the trades. And if you miss a day (like I'm going to do today...sick as the dickens....from both ends..) they act like it's the end of the freaking world.

Thats the one of the few things I hate about my job...........no sick days or pd holidays.
Our benefits are our hourly wage.
Insurance and retirement are good,but not top notch by any means.
So if your looking at retirement and top-notch insurance 2shock,by all means go for it.
wood20ks
wood20ks
Does a Bear shit in the Woods?

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/27/2007, 4:02 pm

wood20ks wrote:
dblshockpwr wrote:

Thats the one of the few things I hate about my job...........no sick days or pd holidays.
So if your looking at retirement and top-notch insurance 2shock,by all means go for it.

Yeah Woods but it would be hard to give up the wages though..... I'm working 10's and some 12's right now... (like 2day) and i don't have to tell you how nice that big fat check is... LOL

Plus when I was just some dumb ass kid, they gave me a chance at a better life when alot of people wouldn't.... I'm not the kind of person to take that lightly you know....The Carpenters Union has been pretty good to me over the years.... And our retirement is pretty good as we get our pension at about 4% of our account for life(plus the life of your spouse as well) and we have an annuity too you know... (plus I have the mutual fund I started myself about 6 years ago that is doing very well)

I started planning for retirement young... Probably because I watched my grandparents not have a pot to piss in after my grandpa worked 3 jobs for most of his life..I respected him because he gave it all to take care of his family... but I swore to myself i wouldn't ever be in that situation when it was time for me to hang them up...

Thats what makes it a hard decision though..because I know if it wasn't for the union there's a very good chance i wouldn't be were I am now in life....But after the accident I was in the health thing is going to an issue when I get a little older... The Doc has already told me I'll have to get a hip replacement later in life because of it, and my back has never really been right since..... LOL The chiropractor is my friend alot of the time now...(and mr. vicadin and percaset...)
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 12/28/2007, 1:30 am

I've noticed that in my new line of work, there are Union block/brick layers, and if they get washed out during the week they get no pay. I talked to one of there drivers and he tells me they make up lost time on the weekends..FUCK THAT.. I didnt work any day that began with an "S", and when I was forced to work at UPS on a Saturday, I boned the company. When I'd get back in, my boss would ask me what took me so long, I responded with "Milking the big brown cow"
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 12/28/2007, 3:11 pm

cravnravn wrote:Thats the one of the few things I hate about my job...........no sick days or pd holidays.

I've noticed that in my new line of work, there are Union block/brick layers, and if they get washed out during the week they get no pay. I talked to one of there drivers and he tells me they make up lost time on the weekends..FUCK THAT.. I didnt work any day that began with an "S", and when I was forced to work at UPS on a Saturday, I boned the company. When I'd get back in, my boss would ask me what took me so long, I responded with "Milking the big brown cow"

LOL hell If I could just work Saturday and Sunday that would be fine with me........time and a half sat and Double on Sunday.... that would work...
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down