Official Bookie Challenge Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head injuries today and yesterday

2 posters

Go down

Head injuries today and yesterday Empty Head injuries today and yesterday

Post  Guest 10/5/2013, 9:18 am

I was working a High School football game last night (I'm a High School B-ball and Football ref) we were talking about how you seem to see more head injuries  today.  We were all told when we were kids to put our head on the ball put your head in his chest and drive him back.  Some of the guys were saying it is because the gear they use is light and just not as good. Others said it was because there are just more reports today.  
       In a game in Washington state if a kid's helmit comes off during a play he must sit out a play.  Even more than that he can't touch anyone or be touched by anyone or we throw flags.   We had a kid last night who couldn't strap on his helmit so he had to sit a play.  Coach said he just couldn't snap on his chin strap but that's the rule and our White hat called it that way.  I see all the rule changes and that safety at all levels are front and center, but I still think there are just more now.  I was wondering what my fellow great sports minds think.

Back to top Go down

Head injuries today and yesterday Empty Re: Head injuries today and yesterday

Post  Guest 10/5/2013, 9:40 am

Here's how they user their helmets in highschool football in my area.  These kids are REAL MEN!  Not!

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 10/5/2013, 9:49 am

Agree, I refereed rec and high school lacrosse in Maryland, and any contact with the helmet had better been below his opponents shoulders, or it was a full minute non-releasable penalty.

It has to be the equiptment, all manufacturers are designing helmets and pads lighter, its all about speed in todays game,

Maybe they should take a game and use Riddels recipe for helmets back in the early 70's.
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  dblshockpwr 10/5/2013, 10:21 am

Athletes are simply much bigger and much stronger today.

More mass, moving faster creating alot more force.
dblshockpwr
dblshockpwr
Shock and Awe

Number of posts : 2260

Back to top Go down

Post  cravnravn 10/5/2013, 10:45 am

You know whats idiotic, these pro's that dont wear knee, thigh or hip pads, that is
just asking for an injury
cravnravn
cravnravn
Retired

Number of posts : 5925

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: